"Monster" IMS Scoreboards

The article in the attachment below was originally published in the May 13, 1910 Indianapolis Star. The article provides a report on facility updates at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as management  prepared for their upcoming American Automobile Association (AAA) "national championships" during the May 1910 race meet. 
Headlining these developments was the installation of what is described as three "monster" scoreboards connected to the judges' stand with a "complete" telephone system. The intention was to position the boards so they were visible to every spectator on the grounds. One board was positioned on top of the Wheeler-Schebler Carburetor Garage, another on top of Contestant's Garage number one and in front of the grandstand at the south end of the track. It would be incredible to know where the first two garages were located but I suspect they were on the front stretch. At the time - to the best of my knowledge - the grandstands were positioned on the front stretch and the south end.
The scoreboards were to be staffed by four men each. Headed by a chief operator wearing a telephone "head attachment" who gave direction to the other three men, the running order of the cars were to be indicated by their numbers. The boards could track up to 30 cars with each scorer using ten numbers.
The number signs used were of enameled metal with black numerals on a white background. Track management believed the signs would be visible from a quarter of a mile away. They pointed to the state-of-the-art system as further evidence that the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was the greatest race course in the world.
The article also reports on other development at the Speedway. The use of "carborundum buffers" is reported for the purpose of grinding the rough brick edges to minimize tire wear. I believe this is what was described in other reports that can be found elsewhere on First Super Speedway as "shaving" the track. Cars pulled piles of other bricks across the running surface, bounding and grinding while leaving great clouds of dust in their wake.
Johnny Aitken (National) and Ray Harroun (Marmon) reportedly had arrived at the track from the Atlanta speedway race meet and were expected to be practicing later the same day this article was published. Aviator Joseph Curzon was reportedly making trial flights in his Farman airplane in preparation for the June aviation show.

IMSscoring051310.pdf690.43 KB